DIVINE PROJECT 2019
By the grace of God, the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Akwa Ibom State Council needs someone with vision and the courage to sustain and take higher the current professional heights of the Union.
The Union needs a visionary leader, who will build upon the development agenda of our outgoing chairman, Elder Patrick Albert, who has unarguably taken the union to a level that should be consolidated upon, rather than allow the union retrogress.
As both industrial and professional body, the Union needs a character who has what it takes to grapple with its demands in the public domain. Saviour Ekpe is a man for the job, resolute and with a strong character; a high sense of mission and purpose.
The NUJ is a dynamic union with highly learned and intelligent people and requires someone who is vested with its politics as State Chairman. As a journalist with experience who has served the Union at various capacities and under different leadership.
TIERS THAT MAKE UP THE UNION
The Nigeria Union of Journalists is made up of three tiers for an effective operation viz: the State Working Committee (SWC), State Executive Council (SEC) and the Congress. These are the various organs that drive the union and I am determined to re-energize those organs as contained in my development blueprint.
As far as state Council is concerned, chapels play the role as akin to local government system, which deals largely and directly with members and their challenges. We will encourage and empower chapels to be able to meet up with their obligation to members.
In my administration, we will work hard to achieve our goal under the following four points agenda viz: 1. Innovations/Journalists Mess 2. Welfare 3. Infrastructure 4. Human Capital Development.
- INNOVATIONS/JOURNALISTS MESS
NUJ Press Corps
In our effort to further uplift the corporate image of our Union, we will create a functional and very dynamic press corps, which would be led by a Press Secretary. And the Corps will have highly competent and professional colleagues who have distinguished themselves in journalism practice.
Honouring Outstanding Members
“The Union may honour members who have made outstanding contributions to the uplift of the Union and journalism profession” (Article 10 section one).
In line with the aforementioned constitutional provision, our leadership will strive to honour some outstanding members/leaders who have contributed immensely to the growth of our union. This, we will do by naming some structures to immortalize them in appreciation of their efforts.
Defense/Protection of Members
Often times, our colleagues are abused, intimidated and harassed especially by security personnel in the course of their duties. We will strengthen collaboration to ensure that this misunderstanding is resolved.
Task force to check mate quackery
We will set up a high powered task force team to checkmate quackery and other forms of illegality in our profession.
NUJ Think Tank
In order to drive the Union to meet up with the international best practice, we will create an NUJ Think Tank that will advice the chairman on various programmes and projects of the Union. The Think Tank will be made up of seasoned professionals, technocrat etc.
We will construct recreational/sporting facilities in the press centre, some of them include 1. Tennis pitch 2. Table Tennis Court 3. Volleyball pitch.
We intend to acquire and install a digital editing suite for commercial purpose
The Barr. Emmanuel Enoidem NUJ ICT Resource Centre will be upgraded and put to use effectively.
Welfare of our members is one of my major drives towards seeking for this office and I, by the grace of God will not leave any stone unturned in ensuring that a robust welfare programme is put in place for our members.
- i) It is my sincere determination and commitment to ensure that I implement the NUJ Welfare Scheme
- ii) I will institute monthly “Chairman’s Commendation Award” to outstanding members to be accompanied with cash award.
iii) We will encourage newspaper Publishers to perform optimally.
- iv) We will lobby, negotiate and pursue rigorously for the actualization of the 22.5 per cent weigh in allowance for our colleagues in state/local government employ.
- v) We will ensure that our members who have not gotten the opportunity of visiting the Holy Land partake in the holy exercise as sponsored by the state government every year.
- vi) We will have a functional Cooperative Society to carter for members’ needs
vii) We will have a revolving interest free micro-credit facilities for members.
Completion of Projects
We will work rigorously towards the completion of mega projects at the NUJ Press Centre:
- a) The Two-storey complex initiated by Elder Patrick Albert
- b) The One-storey Auditorium with gallery initiated by Mr. Israel Umoh
- c) Landscaping the NUJ premises to bring out its envisaged beauty as designed by the immediate past administration
- HUMAN CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT
We will be committed to strict professionalism in all that we do.
Training of Members
- We will ensure that we create platforms for training and retraining of our members within and outside the country on a regular basis.
Although we will not be an appendage of government, as the Forth Estate of the Realm, we will ensure that the image of our state, Akwa-Abasi Ibom State is protected and projected positively.
While we will be striving to make our great Union what it should be by aligning with all the stakeholders, we will solicit the cooperation of all to take our Union to a higher height by the Grace of the Almighty God.
Brief About Pastor Saviour Ekpe, JP
- He is a man with a resolute mind and strong character; imbued with a high sense of mission and purpose; visionary, committed and very focused
- Married with three lovely kids
- Pastor, Deeper Life Bible Church, Uyo region, AKS
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism (PGDJ)
- HND in Public Administration (in view)
- Editor-in-Chief, Century Newsfront Newspapers
- State Auditor, Nigeria Union of Journalists
- Executive Director, Completecare Initiative
- Lectures at Peace Polytechnic
- MD/CEO, ORALMEDIA Communications
- Panelist of the year, 2017 of the 20 Questions (production of Bush House Nigeria)
- President, Students Union Govt, (SUG), Int’l Institute of Journalism, IIJ (2010-2012)
- Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Newsfront Chapel (2013-2016)
- Chairman, Council of NAAKISS (Worldwide) Chapter Presidents (2013)
- President – National Association of Akwa Ibom State Students (NAAKISS), IIJ Uyo Chapter (2012-2013)
- Editor – Blueprint Magazine (2005-2006)
- News Editor – Sceptre Newspaper (2005)
- Reporter – Niger Delta Newspaper (The Realm) (2004)
- Classroom Teacher (Mathematics/Physics), Modern Comprehensive Academy Secondary School. Itu LGA. (2003-2005)
- Member, Itu Local Government, 2006 National Census Advisory Committee (former)
- Media Executive/Public Relations Consultant, Akwa Ibom State Christian Pilgrim Welfare Board (2010)
- Media Executive/Public Relations Consultant, National Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI), Akwa Ibom State Chapter (2006)
- Mentor, Graduate Internship Scheme – Fed. Ministry of Finance, Abuja (2012-2015)
- Enlisted in Who’s who in Akwa Ibom State (a compendium of Achievers in Akwa Ibom State)
- Receives many awards and accolades
- A Jerusalem Pilgrim (JP)
- Likes Reading, writing, traveling and Playing Football