More than 400 people have left Gaza as the Rafah crossing to Egypt opens to civilians for the first time since the war between Israel and Palestinian Militant group, Hamas began on October 7.
About 335 foreign passport holders and 76 injured Gazans have been able to leave so far, Palestinian officials said. The United Kingdom (UK) Foreign Office said the first British nationals have been able to get out of the territory.
In Gaza, phone and internet services are completely cut, the provider Paltel said. The BBC World Service is launching an emergency radio service for Gaza on MW 639kHz, daily at 1500GMT from Friday.
Israel has been bombing Gaza since the 7 October Hamas attacks that killed 1,400 people with 239 people kidnapped as hostages. The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says more than 8,700 people have been killed since Israel’s retaliatory bombing began.