The meeting which was presided over by the Zonal Vice President, Comrade Eddy Ogude, was attended by a National Trustee, Comrade Samuel Egbala and the Zonal Secretary, Comrade Opaka Dokubo as well as the chairmen and secretaries of the six South-South States, namely; Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo and Rivers respectively.
The meeting after exhaustive deliberations, resolved as follows;
- The NUJ Zone “F’ commended the governors of the South-South region for their move to revive the BRACED Commission, which was established by their predecessors some years ago, as a platform to advance the economic and industrial interests of the area.
- The Zone, in consideration of the importance of a workable synergy between Government and the media towards a virile society; urged state governments to be accessible, and to develop good rapport with state Councils of the NUJ as the Fourth Estate of the Realm, for better dissemination of government policies and programmes. They also commended governors who have not relented in offering support to State Councils of the Union in aid of their activities.
- The meeting commended the Federal Government for re-awarding the contract for the completion of the East-West Road as well as the award of contract for the construction of the Calabar-Itu-Ikot Ekpene-Aba Highway and called on it to prevail on the constructing firms to deliver the road projects within the scheduled completion period.
- It called on South-South governments owing civil servants and pensioners to utilise the Paris Club refund to clear the backlog of salary arrears and entitlements to ameliorate their plights.
- The Forum commended the Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II for stopping the activities of Community Development Associations whose activities had frustrated land developers through excessive levies and molestations. It also appreciated the Oba for appointing a former chairman of Edo State Council of the NUJ, Comrade Desmond Agbama as his Chief Press Secretary. The Zone further thanked him for his numerous support to NUJ and for granting them audience in his palace.
- The meeting reiterated the need for members to desist from the use of social media to disparage their colleagues, the Union or any other member of the public. It called on Councils to sanction any erring member(s) accordingly.
- The Zone, after being briefed on the circumstances that led to the inconclusive Delta State Council’s Triennial Delegates Conference, affirmed the setting up of a 5-Member Caretaker Committee, and called on the Committee to conduct peaceful, free, fair and transparent election that will be widely accepted.
- After appraising the menace posed by armed Fulani Herdsmen in various parts of South-South, the meeting urged state governments to be proactive and to introduce strict security measures to halt the killings, wanton destruction of property and harassment wrought on innocent and unsuspecting rural dwellers in many communities, recalling the recent situation in Delta State where even officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force were killed by herdsmen.
- The Forum resolved to have its next Zonal meeting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on or before September, 2017.
Members of the Communique Drafting Committee appointed were Comrade Oka Ibor (Chairman), Comrade Alemma-Ozioruva Aliu (Secretary) and Comrade Paul Osuyi (Member).
Comrade Edward Ogude Comrade Opaka Dokubo
Vice Present, Zone “F’ Zonal Secretary